Last week I learned a valuable lesson. It started with a rough day with Hazel. My usually sweet and helpful little girl was just having a really hard time following directions. She was home sick from school (though she was feeling much better and mostly home to keep from spreading it around). All day she was simply struggling to obey any directions I gave her. At one point I agreed to paint all of their nails. While I was occupied painting Eliza's toes, Hazel asked if she could have some of the polish remover to get the last bit of her old polish off. I told her sure and to please wait. She proceeded to go get the remover and cotton balls. Then she asked if she could pour some in the cap and again I asked her to please wait. She asked a third time and I gave the same answer. Once I finished up Eliza's nails I turned around to find Hazel did not wait but instead poured some herself then set the bottle on our table.
A side note about our table. This is the first and only nice piece of furniture we've ever owned. We saw it on an amazing sale when we first moved to Utah so we snatched it up. It ended up being too big for our kitchen there so it sat in boxes for 2 years and made the 1,100 mile trip out here. I might add one of the boxes weighed 325 pounds and another 150 so it was a total pain to move. A total pain but SO worth it because I love our table!
When I picked up the bottle I realized she had spilled some just like I knew she would. To my horror the nail polish remover completely dissolved the varnish on that part of the table! By divine intervention I kept my cool. I sent Hazel off to play and told her we'd talk about it more when Daddy got home. But inside I was furious!
Once my head cleared I went to talk to Hazel. Did she understand why I told her to wait? It was because I knew she would spill. She doesn't have the skills she needs to pour it without spilling. As the word came out of my mouth I suddenly understood obedience so much more.
Heavenly Father gives us commandments and inspiration on what to do/not do because He knows what the consequences will be. He knows our skill level. He knows what will happen. As Elder L. Tom Perry taught here "Those who rely solely on themselves and follow only their own desires and self-inclinations are so limited when compared to those who follow God and tap into His insight, power, and gifts.... Obedience is a choice. It is a choice between our own limited knowledge and power and God's unlimited wisdom and omnipotence."
In that light obedience doesn't hold us down. It doesn't stop us from doing anything or limit or freedoms. It is truly what makes us free. I'm so thankful for commandments and inspiration to guide our lives. I'm thankful our Father in Heaven cares enough about each of us to help us avoid many devastating consequences if we will but obey Him.
I'm half tempted to leave the spot unstained on our table as a reminder of all when gain when we obey. We'll see...
No comments:
Post a Comment