Monday, April 11, 2016

RSV

While my parents were here over Spring Break poor Orson had to be hospitalized with RSV.

Sunday morning my mom mentioned she heard him cough and remarked she hoped he wasn't getting sick. By that night he spiked a fever and started feeling crummy.

His fever cleared in the morning but came back Monday night. He still wasn't having many other symptoms which had me worried he had the flu so I scheduled him an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. Poor little guy was miserable all day Tuesday and was starting to eat less. By the time we got to the doctors his oxygen saturation was only 85% and they immediately decided to hospitalize him. The county hospital see very few children so they recommended we head to the children's hospital in Des Monies. But since it's over an hour drive and his oxygen was so low they transported us by ambulance.

I'm SO glad we went to the children's hospital! They took really good care of our sweet boy. They staff were wonderful and made us all as comfortable as possible.  He ended up having bronchiolitis from the RSV, a bit of pneumonia on one side, dehydration, and a double ear infection. I couldn't believe he'd gotten so sick so fast!

Wednesday afternoon my dad, Michael, and the girls came down for a visit. Hazel especially was so concerned about how he was doing.
Wednesday was his worst day. He slept all day and barely ate. That night he was fussy and hard to settle all night. He must have kicked off his pulse ox monitor 25 times (our poor night nurse!) He finally settled down a bit around 3am when I climbed up in the crib and slept with him. The nurse told me parents do it all the time but I'm sure it was a sight haha! 

Thursday he started weaning off his oxygen and seemed to be slowly improving. But since he'd had such a terrible night they wanted us to stay one more day. The two of us enjoyed a quiet day and by Thursday evening he started showing some interest in toys for a few minutes. I loved soaking up the cuddles with this cutie, but hated seeing him feel so crummy!

Friday we were able to come home! While it was no fun, I was so thankful for so many things. It was such a blessing it happened over Spring Break while Michael was off work. It was also a huge blessing to have my parents here so they girls could still have fun and we could focus on helping Orson get better. I feel so blessed to have generally healthy kids and am in awe of families who have kids in the hospital for long stays.

Sadly we weren't quite home free. Saturday after driving my parents to the airport Orson started sounding really bad again. The nurse on called recommended we take him to the closest ER. He ended up getting admitted overnight at the local hospital because his oxygen was back down to 88% while we was sleeping. The hospital here in town didn't seem to know what to do with him and just kept observing him and giving him breathing treatments but never put him back on oxygen. (I was frustrated since I could have just done that at home!) By morning he was doing well again and we had an appointment the next day so we were able to come home again. It made me so thankful we'd spent the majority of our time in a children's hospital. Tiny county hospitals really aren't equipped to work with infants especially when they almost never see them.

Thankfully Sunday night he really turned the corner and we even got a smile out of him! We're so glad you're finally feeling better Buddy! 

No comments: