Friday, December 23, 2016

Five Things for the Friday before Christmas

-1-
Daddy had a birthday! He is so incredible, and we are so lucky to have him. He also finished up another semester for his PhD! He has only one more semester of classes!!! (then his comprehensive exams and dissertation of course but the end is getting nearer!)

-2-
I ended up taking two different members of our family to the ER in one week. (Which doubled the number of ER trips we've had in the past decade). Monday Lenora complained about her tummy hurting a few times in the morning then woke up from her nap screaming in pain. After about 20 minutes it went away only to come back again a few hours later. She literally just couldn't stop crying from the pain for over an hour so I took her over to the walk-in clinic where they promptly sent us to the ER. Thankfully, she just ended up having a urinary tract infection I was so thankful that's all it was and she was quickly feeling better!

Then Saturday morning Michael work up in lots of pain. At first it seemed he had a stomach flu but again it quickly became worse until he was doubled over in pain. He had a kidney stone. Again I'm so thankful it was nothing serious and he could start feeling better. Most of all, I'm thankful this was just a bad week for illness and generally we enjoy good health.

-3-
I fixed our dishwasher!!! It has been broken for several months now but we've just put off fixing it. Thanks to You Tube I had diagnosed the problem but I was too nervous to try fixing it myself. It was an expensive enough part that if we had to pay someone else to do it would be better just to buy a new one. After several months of hand-washing all our dishes I got up the courage to give it a try. And guess what? It was super easy and took me less than an hour. Sometimes we really just need to have more confidence in our abilities to learn new skills and succeed. 
Lenora and Orson will miss hand-washing dishes. They love it!

-4-
We've had lots of fun getting ready for Christmas....
Christmas and Polar Express Day at school
Sugar Cookies
Gingerbread Train
Just an adorable little guy ready for church!

 -5-
#Lighttheworld
Easily the best part of our month has been participating in the #lighttheworld countdown to Christmas (see the details here) Each day we have focused on a characteristic of the Savior and how we can emulate it in our lives. As we've looked for ways to serve, as we've prayed to know what to do, and as we've listed to the Spirit, we have had wonderful opportunities. We haven't done anything big or remarkable, but we have felt the true Christmas spirit. Eliza had the courage to teach like the Savior by leading a family home evening lesson. Hazel ministered to children like the Savior as she took extra time to help out and play with her siblings. We tried to show love to our parents, visit the lonely, give service, be peacemakers, and the list goes on. I'm thankful for the perspective it has given us on Christmas and the reminder of why we celebrate. 

Tomorrow night is already Christmas Eve! December has flown by way too fast. For now we'll a slow Christmas weekend filled with a bit a early snow, food, friends, family, and most importantly a celebration of our Savior!

No comments: