I made it through the General Women's broadcast Saturday and the Primary program Sunday without going in to labor! All day Monday I had contractions on and off, but didn't think a thing of them. Monday evening I had a few stronger contractions, but they were still very irregular so I headed to bed. I woke up about 1:00 am to use the bathroom, noticed another contraction or two, but fell back to sleep with no problem. By 2:15 I was awake again, but not with consistent contractions, just general discomfort. I gave up trying to sleep in bed (Lenora had climbed in and was taking over my side) and went to sit in the recliner instead. I had a few strong contractions while I was sitting there but they were still 10+ minutes apart. But by 2:45 the intensity of the contractions had me thinking this was real labor. My early labor normally lasts hours, but I was shocked when by 3:00am my labor had kicked in to high gear. I quickly woke up Michael, and told him to get someone here to watch the kids!
He groggily called our Bishop of all people haha! (Our Bishop is also a professor at EKU and loves kids. He hits total grandpa mode any time there are kids around, and I guess he had repeatedly offered to Michael to come watch them even in the middle of the night when labor hit.)
While we waited for the Bishop to drive the 20 or so minutes from his house to ours, I wished we were already at the hospital so I could get my epidural! Contractions were strong, long, and very close together. Michael gave me a beautiful blessing then busily got the dogs taken care of, pulled the car up to the front of the house, and soothed Orson who had woken up all while helping me through contractions as best as he could. At one point I filled up the tub and soaked in there for a few minutes. By about 3:30 Michael was trying to get me out of the tub and dressed so we could go as soon as the Bishop arrived, but I knew I was in transition and this baby was coming fast! He was SO clam and collected despite my insistence we needed to leave now! I said a quick prayer begging Heavenly Father for guidance and peace. I told him I really didn't want to have this baby in the tub or the car, and asked if He could please slow down my labor enough so we could make it to the hospital. Immediately I felt an overwhelming sense of peace. I had the strength to get up and get dressed through two agonizing contractions. But, once I got settled in the car with the seat reclined all the way back and the cool night air blowing through the windows, my contractions eased up. The entire 20 minute drive to the hospital, I had only a few contractions and they were much, much more mild.
The clock said 4:08 when we got up to my hospital room. The nurse confirmed I was fully dilated with a bulging bag of water. She quickly called in what seemed like every nurse on the floor. Though the room was full of hustle and bustle, it was still so peaceful! The lights were low and each nurse besides my primary nurse simply worked in silence to get things ready. My contractions remained spread out and less intense. Michael held my hand and gently stroked my forehead.
About 4:30 I simply had to start pushing. The midwife hadn't arrived and no one had broken down the end of the hospital bed or turned on those crazy bright lights. My wonderful nurse Ginger told me, "just do what you need to do." With the first push my water broke, and after two more contractions Conrad was born! I immediately sat right up and picked him up off the bed.
I have no doubt Heavenly Father heard my prayers and blessed me with this wonderful delivery. It could have easily been an extremely crazy and stressful experience, but it was the exact opposite. The peace I felt was beyond expression. It was a powerful testimony to me that we can be blessed with peace in the midst of storms. It was exactly as President Dieter F. Uchdorff taught, "When we are grateful to God in our circumstances we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation... in the cold of bitter sorrow we can experience the closeness and warmth of heaven's embrace."
![]() |
| Nurse Ginger who delivered Conrad! |













No comments:
Post a Comment