Wednesday, May 30, 2018

New Callings


Sometimes I put off a blog post because I can't articulate everything I want to say without writing a novel. So in bullet point format, here's the backstory...
- End of March: I'm accept a new calling as the Relief Society President. I was sustained the Sunday after General Conference.
- Mid-April: After the changes to the Elder's Quorum during General conference, Michael is called as the Elder's Quorum 1st counselor
- May 20th: Our stake has a small deaf group but they meet over an hour away from us so we've only gone a few times. The leader and main interpreter is moving so the deaf group is moved to our ward. Michael is called as the new deaf group leader in addition to his Elder's quorum calling.

Whew! It's been a whirlwind few months to say the least. How's it going? A bit like this...
Relief Society President:
I was initially pretty shocked and overwhelmed by my calling as the Relief Society President. How am I supposed to watch over all the women in the ward with five little kids!?! But I have felt sweet reassurance that this calling was inspired. When the Bishop called me, he told me with tears in his eyes how he had made a list of possible sisters to call. Then he'd thought about their lives, families, situations, etc. Knowing we have so many young kids, he crossed my name off the list - three times! In the end, he couldn't deny the impression that I should be called. 

Thankfully I have been blessed with the most amazing counselors! As I prayed and selected counselors, I ended up picking two women I barely know. I knew their names and faces, but that was about it. Yet, they have been exactly who I've needed. Louan is a grandma who loves to serve, visit, and minister to others. She is so sweet and fun and can fill in those last minute things when I can't get away. Christina (Chris) is a mother of 8 children with three still living at home. She is a whiz with computers, planning activities, and has had incredible ideas for our Sunday lessons. Between the three of us and our great secretary Jolene, we have all skills we need to do the work we need to do. It's incredible how it all worked out, and yet, it's not surprising. I didn't know these women or their talents, but the Lord did. 

One scripture that has comforted me as I've begun this is D&C 123:17: 
17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.
I don't have to do everything, or be everything. My time as RS presidency will surely look different from sisters in different phases of life. All I have to do is everything that is in my power, and the Lord will make up the rest.


Elder's Quorum: 
You'd have to ask Michael on this one. He was previously serving as an assistant to the High Priest's group leader so this hasn't been much of a change. He's serving with a great Elder's Quorum president who's really on the ball. He seems to be enjoying it!


Deaf Group Coordinator: 
This calling and change has been a bit overwhelming. Our ward has only a few people (including me) who can interpret, and the deaf group has lots of needs as they make this transition. I see some very long Sundays with lots of interpreting in my future. That being said, the ward is extremely eager to learn ASL and help out! With encouragement from Michael, one of the deaf members is going to teach a weekly ASL class and tons of people are planning to come. I hope it works out wonderfully!


With everything going on, our callings have become a family effort. The kids have patiently waited after church while we've taken care of things, helped deliver food orders with me, made visits to brighten people's days, played at the park while we had a presidency meeting (you get creative to get things done haha!) It's been hard, but it's also been wonderful! They don't complain or resist. In fact, we all feel very blessed. I can feel our family being strengthened and enriched and magnified. It's wonderful! 

There have been tough days, and I'm sure there will be tougher. I know I'm seeing my weaknesses clearer than ever before! But there have already been some truly wonderful days, and I know there are even more wonderful days ahead! 

No comments: