As I listened, I knew I wanted to take each of the challenges. I was surprised when Hazel decided she would like to read the Book of Mormon too. So we started reading together each night. It was hard, but a good hard. Some nights it was past Hazel's bed time; other nights I struggled to stay awake while reading. There were conflicts with other activities and just life, but we tried our best to keep reading.
By the last day of the year, we had 20 pages left to finish. Thankfully, it was a beautifully warm day so we left Michael and the other kids at home and escaped to the park to finish up. The Spirit was strong as we read through the final chapters, and I once again felt so strongly that this book is true! I know Hazel loved reading it as well, and she has set her own goal for the new year to read the scriptures for 10 minutes each night.
With the invitation to read President Nelson said:,
"As impossible as that may seem with all you are trying to manage in your life, if you will accept this invitation with full purpose of heart, the Lord will help you find a way to achieve it. And, as you prayerfully study, I promise that the heavens will open for you. The Lord will bless you with increased inspiration and revelation."
As we read, I've truly felt the power of his promise. Miraculously, we were able to accomplish our goal! I have also felt the promised outpouring of the Spirit. The day after we finished a tender prompting came to me as I took a shower. This prompting answered a question I'd pondered in my heart all year. It brought so much comfort and a much, needed reminder that the Lord knows me. He knows what's going on in my life right now. He knows where I struggle and where I excel. He is hastening the teaching of our family which is wonderful and busy and overwhelming all at the same time.
For the Book of Mormon, for this sweet girl, and for the power of a promise from a Prophet of God, I am eternally thankful.



No comments:
Post a Comment