We got to spend three wonderful nights near Glenwood Springs for a family reunion with the Smith side of the family. Most of my cousins and all of their kids were able to make it. We're becoming quite the big group!
There was lots of laughter as cousins old, young, and in between got to spent time together.
And of course, Colorado was beautiful as always. I'm convinced there are no better rainbows on earth than in Colorado.
But by far my favorite part of the trip was witnessing a string of tiny miracles that left me thankful for a loving Father who allows storms to enter our lives, but also gives us rainbows of support, hope, and protection when we need them most.
Tiny Miracle One - Wandering Conrad was Found
On our drive out we stopped at a Walmart. While Michael took the kids inside to use the bathroom, I tightened the kayaks on the roof. Next thing I know, a woman walks up to me with holding Conrad's hand and saying he was nearly hit by a car! When he finished using the bathroom he didn't wait around for Michael or the other kids but just headed back to the car all by himself. Thankfully the woman saw him, scooped him up, and helped him find me safely.
Tiny Miracle Two - A Bar of Cell Service
One of the day, just our family headed up to the reservoir for an afternoon. It was so peaceful and beautiful! However, one of the kids accidentally hit the locks on the car door and ended up locking our only set of keys in the car. Of course, there was no cell service and we were a good 5 miles from the nearest town. After a quick prayer I walked up the hill from the reservoir and was able to get one bar of service. With that one bar I was able to call the roadside assistance company, the locksmith, and my dad. Three calls with perfect clarity! Once those three calls were done, I didn't have a single bar of service the rest of the afternoon. We were quickly back in possession of the keys and while waiting the kids had such a blast playing in the mud they didn't even notice the delay. Tiny Miracle Three - Lifejackets and a Dry Box
Another day many of our group headed for a 7 mile float trip down the Colorado River. Most of the group floated in tubes, but a few of us kayaked including my dad in one kayak and Conrad and I in another. Thanks to recent rains, several of the rapids were larger than normal which made for a fun but wild ride! One rapid got the better of my kayak, and Conrad and I were flipped out of the boat. Thankfully neither Conrad nor I were hurt and floated through the rapid safely in our life jackets before walking to the bank. My dad was downstream to grab the kayak, and the drybox with Michel's implant and several pairs of car keys stayed in the boat. The only thing we lost was my hat.2 Nephi 21:10 - "They shall not hunger nor thirst, neither shall the heat nor the sun smite them; for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by springs of water shall he guide them."
We're not always protected from the heat of the sun - Conrad wandered away, the keys were locked in the car, and the kayak tipped. But we are ALWAYS blessed with tender mercies and led along springs of water. Those miracles won't always be what we've prayed for or take a trial away, but they will be the tiny miracles we need to help us in our journey. I feel blessed for some adventure this trip that illuminated this truth so clearly.
























No comments:
Post a Comment