Walter Anthony Ballard
3/15/2023
7 lbs, 5 oz
20 inches
To say we are obsessed and smitten with this sweet little boy is an understatement. He is perfect, and we love him SO much!
Walter made us wait patiently to meet him. I officially had my longest pregnancy yet at 39 weeks, 2 days.
Then, the morning of the 15th I woke up about 4:30am with uncomfortable contractions. Since Conrad's labor started much the same way and progressed very quickly, I was surprised when the contractions continued at the same intensity but weren't getting closer together than 15 to 20 minutes. I tried going back to sleep without any luck. Eventually, I got up and got ready for the day, told Michael he should probably work from home, and started walking around trying to get things moving more quickly. My contractions continued much the same all morning - uncomfortable enough that I knew this was real labor but not progressing. I had a doctor's appointment previously scheduled for 11am, so I went ahead with the appointment. I was dilated to 4cm and the doctor agreed I was likely in labor, so he stripped my membranes hoping to move things along.
I arrived home to a gourmet lunch cooked by Michael. He wanted the kids to get one square meal in for the day since he assumed we wouldn't be home by dinner time. He's such a good dad!
As the afternoon worn on, labor still refused to quit or progress. My chiropractor had given me a series of exercises called the Miles circuit to help the baby move in to the proper position for labor. I did the whole 90 minute circuit and found my contractions were finally becoming more regular! By 4pm, I felt like things were progressing enough to head to the hospital. Contractions were becoming more painful though they were still around 5-6 minutes or more appart.
At the hospital everyone seemed to agree that I was in labor but that it would be awhile. We arrived at about 4:45 and didn't get officially admitted until about 6. By this point, I decided I wanted an epidural. The combination of contractions ALL day, the thought that I would possibly be in labor many more hours, plus transition, and worst of all crowning all had me looking forward to that epidural. The nurse had to get my IV started and give me half a bag of saline before they could proceed with the epidural.
I had an especially strong contraction while waiting for the saline to infuse and told Michael, "I'm going to be so happy with that epidural!" The next contraction, I stood at the side of the bed and my water broke. Immediately I felt the need to push! With two quick pushes Walter was here! The nurse caught him, unwrapped him from his umbilical cord which was around his neck twice, and handed him up to me. He was perfect!
Waiting for the delivery to find out the gender was SO hard. I hate surprises! But, it was worth the wait for that moment of excitement after he was born.
Tender Mercies from this Delivery:
- Labor starting early in the day so that Michael was home from work not rushing back to Payson
- Knowledge from the chiropractor on how to move labor along with the Miles circuit
- A wonderful hospital experience
- The most amazing nurse there to deliver Walter! I feel so blessed with Nurse Courtney who was so skilled and calm. I know they don't deliver babies every day, but you would have thought she did.
- The fact that he came so quickly in the end. With the cord wrapped around his neck twice it's a blessing he hadn't descended sooner and that he spent so little time in the birth canal.
- That I never did get my epidural. I enjoy recovery so much more with a natural birth, so I'm grateful the epidural didn't happen
- My SIXTH uneventful, vaginal delivery. It is not lost on me how blessed I've been with smooth deliveries
As usual, Michael was the best support. I always love watching him meet our babies for the first time! He couldn't wait to hold Walter, but it was a while before I was ready to hand him over.

I must say, I LOVED the Payson labor and delivery floor. The staff were so kind and helpful, plus the recovery room felt more like a nice hotel. They provide a fancy dinner to all new parents, so Michael and I enjoyed a short dinner date before heading home.
Walter, you are already such a joy to our family. We're so glad you're here!!!















No comments:
Post a Comment