Orson turned TEN! In true Orson fashion, he didn't ask for anything specific for his birthday and even went with Michael to volunteer serving food at an interfaith event. Don't worry, we did celebrate with gifts (including a chess set since he LOVES chess) and a yummy dinner outside.
Orson has become super excited about survival skills after watching the show Alone with Michael. He built himself a shelter in the backyard and read a survival skills book from the library. So as part of his birthday we got him a flint and steel set, and Michael took him and Conrad camping for the night. Michael intentionally didn't bring any matches or lighters, and asked Orson to start the fire. It took them several hours to get that fire started, but they cooked their dinner over that fire and loved EVERY minute of it.Orson is capable well beyond his years. He's always been a strong, hard working boy, but this year he's really become trustworthy with so many things. He can chop wood, shovel snow, mow lawns, drive a riding lawn mower, clean bathrooms, do laundry, and help out in so many ways. The amazing thing about Orson is that he does all of these so willingly, often without being asked. One day when Michael had to leave early for work, he was outside shoveling the fresh snow off the walkway without me even asking him to help out. He just sees needs around him and steps up to help.
While he may be responsible, he's definitely NOT boring! He's alway up for a good laugh, a silly antic, or a photo-bomb.
I don't think Orson would say he loves school, but he is very on top of his studies. He starts his math each day without reminders and works diligently through his school work. When he needs my help, he's quick to seek me out. The other day he was ready for my help for quite a while while I was focused on Walter. When it finally seemed like I was done, he walked up and handed me a paper with a big red E on it. I was confused until he said, "Red E - Ready?" I love his sense of humor!
Orson's a natural at math and has worked hard to excel. This year he's started reading much more for fun. He really loves the "I Survived" series right now. He's studious and generally loves to learn, but good luck reading his handwriting.
He's also such a great big brother to the little boys! He is helpful and fun, and they both just adore Orson.
I've loved watching Orson grow spiritually. Not only has he become more fluent reading scriptures, but he's also understanding more and more of what he reads. During discussions, he often has great insights to share. I can't believe that this next year will be his last year of Primary before advancing to Young Men's. Wild!

























No comments:
Post a Comment