Saturday, September 4, 2010

Battle of the Binkie

So I decided to use my four day weekend to take Hazel's pacifier away. I'm such a mean mommy. Haha, I knew it would be much harder once she could ask for it, and with the rate she's learning signing I knew that would be soon.

We've been limiting it to naps and bedtime since her birthday, but I was still really worried. So far though it's been much easier than expected. Friday morning I made her leave it in her crib when I got her up. She kept asking me for milk (but really wanting the paci) but was fine after a few minutes. We spent the morning running errands and she fell asleep in the car about 11:30 so the first nap without it was a breeze:)

When I went to put her down for bed she starting screaming "the scream." The one when she's dropped her binkie or lovie out of the crib. The one I was dreading, because there's no way she'll sleep until you get her stuff when she's screaming "the scream." So, I cut the tip off of one of her binkies and went in and gave it to her. She immediately popped it in her mouth, then pulled it out with the most confused expression:) She tried a few more times before giving up. I left the room and she cried her "falling asleep cry" about 15 minutes before falling asleep! Not nearly as bad as I expected.

This morning she woke up and showed me the "broken binkie" from last night but didn't even try to take it out of the crib with her or put it in her mouth. So far today has been going great! Again we were running errands so she fell asleep in the car. We'll see how tonight goes, but I think she'll do great.

I'm so glad this has been much, much easier than I thought it would be. I'm also very glad we did it now too instead of waiting.

1 comment:

karen said...

you're not a mean mommy !! Its better to take it away soon as you can. My nephew is 2 and ahem, still has it, and I have no idea how my sister will handle it.

With my girls, after their 1st birthday, I make them go cold turkey with the paci by throwing it away . So guess that make me a mean mommy ! ;)