Sunday, November 24, 2013

Rafi is Home!

I posted a while ago about how Hazel lost Rafi and was devastated. It broke my heart to see her missing her "best friend" so much, and after about a month and a half I knew we weren't going to find Rafi. So I gathered up all my super mommy powers to make it better.

First I got online and found an identical "Rafi" on Ebay. I was pleasantly surprised when the seller accepted my offer of $15 so I didn't have to pay the full $25 he was asking for it (though I totally would have had he rejected the offer.)

Then, I got the new "Rafi" in the mail and boy was I shocked. The description said it was used, but when I opened that package I honestly couldn't remember Hazel lovey EVER looking that nice! Haha, guess that's what happens when you get used to the old, well loved, grey Rafi instead of the nice, soft, pink one. So now I had a problem. How would I get her to believe this was really Rafi? Thanks to a stroke of mommy genius, I came up with a plan.

I wrote up a quick letter and left it on the table with Rafi for Hazel to find the next morning...

What made it even more perfect was that morning we woke up to a dusting of snow for the first time this season. Hazel knew this was the real Rafi and the elves really had cleaned her up and sent her home!!!!

I can't even begin to tell you how excited she was! She carried Rafi around all morning and talked to her, catching her up on everything she had missed while she was gone. She excitedly showed Rafi her new bunk bed and cuddled her. She even told Eliza she should send her lovey Ellie to the elves so they could clean Ellie up too with their magic soap!

It truly was one of those moments that was priceless. I'm so, so, so glad it worked! Of course some day she will find out that this Rafi is a replacement, but I don't think she'll be mad. Plus, in her heart, this is the same Rafi and that's all that matters. That night in her prayer she even expressed how thankful she was that Rafi is home. While I know it won't last, I love that for now I can take away her little problems and make everything right in her world again!

No comments: