Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Mother's Blessing Shower

About a week before Orson was born my good friend Heather asked if she could host a mother-centered baby shower for me. She was one of the authors of a beautiful book called "The Gift of Giving Life" which focuses on the spiritual side of pregnancy, birth, and motherhood. While I wasn't quite sure what to expect, I gratefully accepted her offer.

The Friday before Orson was born, eight women from the ward gathered at Heather's house. She had told them each to write a card for me with words of encouragement and/or praise and to also bring a bead that symbolized their message. Heather had also emailed women close to me and opened the invitation to them as well.

So that evening, each woman took a turn sharing her wisdom with me and sharing things they admired about me as a woman and mother. We also took turns reading the emails from my mom, sister, aunts, and a few good friends who live out of state. It was such an incredible experience! The spirit attended our gathering as we discussed the noble and divine calling of motherhood. I was filled with strength and hope as they offered their words of advice. I also caught a glimpse of how other people see me. Like Heather said, everyone should experience something like that once in their lives because normally those are the type of things people only talk about at our funerals.

With each message, each woman presented me with a bead which Heather made in to a beautiful bracelet for me. It was to serve as a reminder of the amazing circle of women who love and support me. Little did I know, but the bracelet and that evening were exactly what I needed. With Orson being our first baby born away from family, I was nervous how everything would turn out. But that night I saw just how blessed I've been here with friends who love and serve us like family. And I was filled with peace knowing we may not have our families close by, but we are certainly not alone.

Since Orson's birth we have continued to feel so showered in love. Ward members, friends, and colleagues have dropped off gifts. The Relief Society never had to organize meals because so many people simply volunteered and brought food over. Offers to help with the older girls have been numerous. Michael and I both have felt humbled and so loved by how our friends have celebrated Orson's arrival. Once again, we've been reminded that Iowa is where we're supposed to be for now. And when you're where you are meant to be, the Lord makes it wonderful!

No comments: