Monday, September 16, 2019

Dr. Ballard!

It's finished! It still feels slightly surreal, but it's the truth. Michael is done with his PhD!!!! Say hello to Dr. Ballard! 

This has been a long, long road. Michael has worked so hard! The kids and I have enduring weekends and evenings without him around while he was in class, writing, or researching. It was crazy, but he (we) did it! 

I remember attending my friend's graduation at BYU when Hazel was 2 and Eliza was a baby. At that point Michael had finished his BA, but didn't plan on going to school any more. I saw a mother there trying to keep her 5 kids entertained for the graduation while they watched their dad earn his PhD. I remember thinking, how in the world do you earn a PhD when you have 5 kids!?! How do you have time!?! How do you afford it!?! And yet, here we are - with 5 kids celebrating Michael's PhD. How did we make it? We tried to put the Lord first then did the best we could. He made up the difference in remarkable ways! 

For the final step in Michael's PhD journey, he had to travel to Iowa to defend his dissertation. So less than a week after arriving in Utah we dropped the kids off with various family members then hit the road again together. I'm so glad I was able to go with him! Not only was it nice to be there and support him in his amazing accomplishment, but it was also so nice to have some time alone together. 

We enjoyed the drive and caught a few Iowa friends and sights.

On Sunday we went to our old ward and loved seeing friends there. The Boone Ward is a remarkable place! Our dear friend Grandpa Jone suffered a stroke last Fall that left him paralyzed on his right side. He's living in assisted care, and it's so tough for him. He was always the one out serving others and helping make the world a brighter place. Now he's lost his independence. He did so much for our family that we couldn't go to Iowa without paying him a surprise visit. It was wonderful to see him! Even in the mist of his trials, he is a light. He's found an old woman he helps to feed at each meal. I have no doubt he will continue to serve in his own way.

Monday was the day of the big defense. Michael was nervous, but he presented his research and everything he's worked so hard on beautifully. 
Awaiting the results after a great presentation. 
Unsurprisingly he passed!
Making it official!
PhD Grad!!!
I'm so proud of him for making his dreams come true! Michael, you deserve this!!

No comments: