Friday, May 22, 2020

Five Things for Friday: COVID-19 Edition

- 1 - 
Home Church

This Sunday will be our 10th week of church at home since they cancelled meetings due to caronavirus. I can't believe it's been so long! Overall, it has been a seamless transition to having church at home, and I have no doubt that is because of all the inspired changes made in recent years. We've been preparing for a home centered, church supported way of living the gospel, and now we're giving it a true test drive. 

In many ways we've loved home church. It makes for a much less stressful Sunday, the kids have had more chances to help teach, and we've still gotten to take the Sacrament and feel the Spirit each week. We typically have a shortened "sacrament" meeting with one talk by Michael or I, then the kids join singing time with their awesome music leader on Zoom. Lastly, we finish up with a short primary lesson or activity by one of the kids. 

Once our church is done for the day we have tried to find ways to reach out to others in the ward. We take the Sacrament to a YSA sister we minister to, then drop off a treat at a friend or two's home. I have loved our Sundays! 

That being said, we really look forward to returning to a more normal schedule again soon. 
General Conference Weekend!

Ward Council. Love the Carona outfit! 

Zoom Singing Time

- 2 - 
Spoiled Chickens

The chicken coop is done, and wow is it incredible! Tony and TJ did so much work on it, and I feel so blessed by their service. It is so beautiful. The chickens love their space, and I love the storage we gained for garden tools in the other half. 
They exit the coop via the front porch! 

These chickens are SO spoiled, especially Eliza's chicken Mara. Every morning Eliza loves to go outside and play with them, and next thing I know, Mara's in the house. She even tried to help me with this blog post. Eliza has taken her on bike rides, fed her from a spoon, and frequently caries her around in her shirt because "Mara like it." Like I said, totally spoiled chickens!


- 3 - 
Mother's Day

I enjoyed a wonderful Mother's Day thanks to these adorable kids and my amazing, super-husband. They made me amazing meals, cleaned, and let me take pictures of them all looking cute for church. Not sure how I got so lucky to have these five amazing kids. They truly are remarkable... and sometimes rather odd. 

After a relaxing morning we headed to Woods Cross to visit with Grandpa Tony. He's been in Utah since the end of March because his mother - Grandma-Great - passed away. We knew a visit on his first Mother's day without her would be a nice distraction. Plus the boys needed a picture with him in their "grandpa shirt."

After visiting him we were able to enjoy dinner with my parents. I'm so glad the lockdown restrictions were eased up enough for us to visit with them. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of my sweet Mom.

- 4 - 
Having Fun

We've gotten creative with ways to have fun at home. One day I introduced the kids to a fun activity from my childhood - drilling holes in animal crackers with the leg of another cracker. It takes serious patience and skill (and Michael thinks I'm crazy haha!) But the kids loved it!


One afternoon we visited Salem Pond near our house. It is amazing! We will definitely be back soon.

Eliza had a little bit too much fun one day on her bike. She skidded on gravel and ended up needed stitches (3rd time for this girl.) Never a dull moment for her! 

Making Fairy Houses
Last Saturday Michael and I attended an outdoor, socially-distanced bee keeping class at a local farm. It was so much fun, and we can't wait to get our own bees (hopefully next Spring). The best part though was snuggling this cute, week-old lamb. He was such a lover and kept kissing me through my bee veil. Now I totally want a lamb! 


- 5 -
Spring Forest School

Forest school in Spring has been heaven. We missed a few weeks because of the virus, but we're so glad we're able to be back now. One week it was warm enough for the kids to swim. Another it was freezing and I slipped carrying Orson across the creek and got soaked. It's all about balance I guess. 

Last week was cooler so the kids were in jeans and sweatshirts. That didn't stop Conrad from trying to swim again and getting soaking wet. The rest of the day he ran around in just Lenora's coat - until he soaked that too. He's obviously a water lover (and a "naturalist" as Hazel said of his naked bum!)

No comments: