Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Back to School

The Ballard Family School resumed session the end of August. The decision to homeschool was easier than ever this year (coronavirus means kids have to wear masks all day, everyday to school, attend completely online in some place, or have hybrid schedules in others. I'm SO glad we don't have to have any part in that!)
Hazel - 6th grade and officially in middle school

Eliza - 4th

Lenora - 1st

Orson - PreK

Conrad - Basic Manners 101

The older girls have started a book club and we had our first meeting the beginning of September. We have an incredible group of 12 girls gathered, and I think it's going to be a wonderful year of reading and fun for them. 

We've also already had some fun adventures as part of school. Our science unit is Botony right now so we've taken some incredible hikes to enjoy the fall leaves, learn to recognize more trees, and discuss photosynthesis. Gram and Grandpa even joined us for one of our hikes! 

Big Springs Hallow

Stewart Falls

We also took a fun trip to the apple orchard last week: 



Overall, we're excited for a great year! I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would homeschool my kids, but I feel so grateful we discovered it. I'll be honest it's hard. A wise homeschooler said, "Most days homeschool is the best, and some days I want to die." That about sums it up perfectly! But it has been such a blessing. My kids find so much joy in learning, I get to learn and study along with them, and we all get so much time together. Here's to a year of many great days with only a few terrible ones.

No comments: