Friday, September 11, 2020

Five for Friday - Summer Odds and Ends

- 1 - 
First Payson Garden!

Our first garden here in Payson has gone remarkably well this summer! On one side of the yard we had our traditional garden. 
Spring Garden
Late Summer Garden

It's turned into a messy, wild place, but I've been amazed at the harvests we had. Here's a picture of last week's harvest! 

On the other side of the yard, we experimented with a Three Sister's garden. The Native Americans used this method for growing food. You plant corn, surrounded by beans, and squash. The idea is that the corn provides a trellis for the beans to climb, the beans provide nitrogen to aid the corn's growth, and the squash helps with weed control. Things started out okay, but the beans all grew just a few inches before dying. I think I waited until the corn was too tall to plant them, and they just weren't getting enough sunlight. The squash has grown well, but not before the weeds haha. 

On one end I threw in what were supposed to be decorative sunflowers just for fun. They turned out to be giant sunflowers instead! 

In the end, we did get a great crop of corn, but not a single bean grew. While it was a fun learning experiment, I haven't decided if I'll give it a try next year again or not. 

I planted a fall crop of colorful carrots, beets, and radishes. I don't have much hope for them after Conrad decided they freshly planted and soaked ground was the perfect mud-puddle. I guess you win some, you lose some. That look of pure joy was pretty worth it though! 



- 2- 
Forth of July

I had to include these pictures from our fun 4th of July mostly so we can all enjoy this one of Lenora. Oh to enjoy the simple things in life so fully! 





 - 3 - 
Cousin Time

I love getting these cuties together to enjoy the little things in life like berry picking and snow cones. Living closer to cousins has been such a wonderful blessing!


- 4 - 
More Hikes!

Salt Creek Falls

Up Payson Canyon

Cecret Lake and Albion Basin

Bridal Veil Falls

A slightly hiking related story, poor Orson fell on a wet log one week while we were hiking. He ended up with the biggest fat lip I've ever seen. 

- 5 - 
This and That...

Tessa (Lenora's best friend from Kentucky) was in Utah visiting family and took the time to come see us. It was so much fun to see her!

These boys are the cutest! 

I learned that my 5th-great-grandfather is buried in the Payson cemetery. So, one Sunday afternoon we rode our bikes down there and found his grave. He was one of the first settlers of Payson and helped dig several irrigation ditches, some of which are still used today! 

It's a hard life when all your pets try to steal your food. He kept trying to turn from Haley only to have the chickens start munching his corn bread or vice versa. We all couldn't help but laugh. 

Eating ice cream is rough too, especially when you bite off the bottom of your cone. 

Life is weird right now. We wear masks to go to the grocery store, the library, the zoo, and even church (well a shortened sacrament meeting once a month for now, but it's something!) I'm so thankful that despite the crazy COVID world we're living in right now, that we still can get out and have fun. We truly have had a great summer and made some wonderful memories. 

No comments: