My cute kids have been planning their Halloween costumes since January when Lenora was given this Dorothy dress up and Toto from Grandma and Grandpa for her birthday. In their words, "We HAVE to be the Wizard of Oz crew!" So despite the pandemic and the fact that most Halloween parties and activities were cancelled, we made it happen!
I've made my share of costumes in the past, but sewing was something that entirely fell out of my life when I was the RS president and started homeschooling in Kentucky. So it was fun for me to dust off my sewing machine again.
Eliza was Glinda the Good Witch. Her costume was the one I made from scratch. I've never made a full dress with a zipper, so it was a fun learning experience for me. Thankfully amazing people make online tutorials because it wouldn't have happened without it! The best part was we found an old prom dress at a garage sale that we repurposed in to most of the dress. Thrifty and beautiful!
Orson was the Tin Man. Could he be any cuter? He took his role very seriously, and in the weeks leading up to Halloween he spent a lot of time practicing being stiff and still.
Conrad was our little lion. His costume was one my parents had so that one was easy. When anyone would ask him what he was planning to be for Halloween, he would respond "a wi-on". A cute little, shoe-less lion, because that's how he rolls.
Hazel was the Wicked Witch! Her costume was a mash-up of garage sale finds, a cape I made from an old sheet, and the cleaver broom she created minutes before we left from a dowel and dried up lily plants from the garden. She was terrifyingly perfect.
To complete the crew, I had to dress up as the Scarecrow. Not my most flattering costume ever, but it rounded out our group perfectly.
Our local homeschool group still had a Halloween Parade, so we were able to march around the park (while pretending to stroll down the yellow brick road of course). The kids were SO happy to do something slightly normal on Halloween.
Also, look how creepy Orson ended up by bedtime that night with his half washed off makeup!
Halloween landed on a Saturday, so we had Gram and Grandpa over to carve pumpkins and have a cake walk before heading out to Trick-or-Treat. The kids wore masks Trick-Or-Treating, and some homes had rigged up creative ways to get candy down to the kids while maintaining a distance. At one house, a couple slid the candy down a kiddy slide, another man had created a chute on his porch railing, and sweet, old lady watched and waved through her glass storm door while the kids pick a soda from the porch. I was touched by their kindness so the kids could enjoy a fun night, and I just wanted to give that sweet woman a hug. It's been a strange, hard year, but we're slowing muddling through it.
No comments:
Post a Comment