Sunday, October 8, 2023

Lessons from Sleep Deprivation

In keeping things real, Walter is wonderful and we wouldn't trade life right now for anything. But I'd forgotten how real sleep deprivation can be and have been feeling it lately! Walter isn't a terrible sleeper, but he definitely still wakes up at night to eat so my sleep is fragmented. Also, some of the struggle to get enough sleep has come from trying to burn the candle at both ends meeting the needs of both teenagers/big kids and a baby. Of course Michael and I work together and he's a huge support, but we're in a unique season of life for sure.

As Walter turned 6 months old, I still hadn't been able to attend the temple and was missing it sorely. I made up my mind to get to a session, made a 7am appointment (the only time in the day that seemed doable to sneak away), and set my alarm. Hazel has early morning seminary every day except Friday, so I have been used to getting up early. Sadly I slept through my alarm that day and missed the session! I was SO disappointed.

I tried again the next week. Of course, Walter slept poorly the night before and I woke up DRAGGING. With stubborn determination, I propped open my eyelids and set off for the temple. As I waited for the session to start, I happened upon this scripture which touched my heart... (3 Nephi 17: 2, 5-9)
2 I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time...
5 And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus spoken, he cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they were ain tears, and did look steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.
6 And he said unto them: Behold, my bowels are filled with compassion towards you.
7 Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or bleprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy.
8 For I perceive that ye desire that I should show unto you what I have done unto your brethren at Jerusalem, for I see that your faith is sufficient that I should heal you.
9 And it came to pass that when he had thus spoken, all the multitude, with one accord, did go forth with their sick and their afflicted, and their lame, and with their blind, and with their dumb, and with all them that were afflicted in any manner; and he did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto him.
With my fuzzy, sleep deprived brain, I felt just like these Nephites - unprepared to understand the words of the Lord, but full of desire to commune with Him. The phrase in verse 9 really stood out to me when they brought forth "... they that were afflicted in any manner; and he did heal them every one." Christ's ability to heal isn't limited to physical ailments. It covers any manner of affliction that prevents us from fully receiving the word of God. It was balm to my sleep deprived soul - that Christ could "heal" me from my aliment. Not by taking it away, but my making up the difference. And He did. I went on to have a wonderful morning in the temple with an alertness and clarity of mind I'd missed for months. I'm forever grateful for my Savior. Life is full of the wonderful and hard walking side-by-side, but He can always be there too if we just come to Him.

No comments: