Tuesday, April 1, 2025

Lionel Craig Ballard

Lionel Craig Ballard

February 3, 2025
6:44pm
8 lbs, 0 oz
20 inches


Early on the morning of February 3rd, I woke up to contractions. The last few weeks of pregnancy had been long! So, while I was dreading labor,  I also hoped this was the real thing. 

Much like Walter's labor,  my contractions were strong, but weren't getting closer together. Michael decided to find a sub for his classes anyways and stay home for the day. I spent the morning trying to do a bit of school with the kids,  then giving up and taking Lenora on down for a walk. We'd learned you could find owl pellets at the cemetery,  so we walked down and collected some. 

The walk didn't make my labor pick up like I'd hoped it would,  but it was nice to get outside.  

I had my regularly scheduled doctor's appointment at 3pm, and since I was still having what felt like real connections every 10-15 minutes, I figured I'd have them check my progress. Shockingly, I was already 6cm dilated and was sent directly to labor and delivery.

Over the next few hours, I labored with some definite pain,  but not enough that I wanted an epidural. I've realized I prefer the recovery without one enough to justify the few hours of pain. By the time my doctor came to check in me,  I was at an 8 and asked for him to break my water.  

That didn't immediately lead to pushing like with Lionel,  but the contractions did pick up.  While it was very painful,  I felt so calm. 

Then the urge to push hit.  I literally said out loud,  "I hate this part!" My sweet nurses cheered me on as Michael held my hands encouragingly.  Within a few pushes, Lionel was here! 


Of course we were instantly smitten! Those first few moments with a sweet soul so fresh from heaven never get old.  The peace and joy and love that flood the room are unbeatable.  

Lionel has been the sweetest baby! He's nurses well from the start,  and is generally happy and content. 

And Michael has been my MVP. After 7 kids,  he knows exactly how to support me after a delivery.  Yummy food,  chocolates, taking care of me and the kids, and coming home to a spotlessly clean house and flowers were just a few of the things he did for me. This man's a keeper and the world's best dad! 

The next morning the whole crew came to meet Lionel.  Walter was not so sure what to think. Throughout my pregnancy,  he'd called my belly "Baby Lionel ball." When the kids showed him pictures at home he said,  "Baby Lionel ball come out??? No! Baby Lionel ball go back in!"
Once he got a chance to hold him though,  Walter didn't want to share.  

All lined up on the bed, our crew looks huge! 

That night we headed home to soak in the snuggles, sweet smells, and joy from this precious soul. 

I love his hair! Not nearly has long as Hazel or Eliza's, but the longest and darkest of any of the boys for sure. 
He also has the best old man face to match his old man name. 
He's full of some adorable faces too! 

This is what heaven must feel like...

Lionel, we are so glad you're here! We adore you! When we were considering adding one more child to our family I was chatting with a friend about something completely unrelated. She shared that the number 7 represents wholeness, completion, and perfection. While she wasn't talking about children, that's immediately where my mind wandered. Now that you're here though, I feel that about our family - we're whole, complete, and perfect thanks to you! 

No comments: