Thursday afternoon I took the girls to the park. They were having a great time. Remember those toys with the spring on the bottom that you ride and rock back and forth? This park had a double one that the girls were loving. Right before we left Hazel got on with another girl at the park. They were rocking pretty fast and loving every second of it. But then poor Hazel hit her face on the handle bar. I grabbed her off knowing she would be upset only to see blood pouring from her mouth! Surprisingly I stayed totally calm and hauled them both off to the car. When I finally got her to open her mouth I saw one of her front teeth was cracked nearly in half. The next time she would open it for me, it was gone (swallowed I think). Poor little girl!
Luckily our dentist was still in the office at 5:30 when I called and agreed to see her. The tooth had been knocked out cleanly so they didn't have to pull any of it (thankfully). And the teeth around it weren't lose so they should make it.
Poor Hazel was so traumatized by the whole experience though. She literally screamed at the top of her lungs for the first hour and cried the rest of the night. Then for two days she didn't want to close her mouth or swallow anything so she ended up drooling all over. I convinced her to drink by buying her a princess cup and telling her we would take it back if she didn't use it. Luckily that did the trick:)
She even held her mouth open while she was sleeping.
Thankfully she is back to normal now. She has even embraced her lost tooth. Yesterday she was running around singing "I lost my tooth! I lost my tooth!" and "I have a window!" She also thoroughly enjoyed her money from the tooth fairy.
The dentist said they can put in a permanent retainer with a fake tooth but it sound horribly uncomfortable and Hazel is so traumatized by the dentist I'm sure they'd have to knock her out to do it. If at some point she decides she wants it we'll get it for her, but I'm not going to force her. It will just be a long 3 to 4 years waiting for it to grow back!
1 comment:
Oh my goodness what an ordeal! Way to handle it momma! Glad she is closing her mouth again! Sweet thing! She is adorable!
Post a Comment