Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happened in to Homeschooling

Since Hazel is 3 1/2 going on at least 5 she was dying to start school in September. So I figured we'd put her in preschool. That is until I checked out the price! Um yeah - this graduate student family cannot afford to pay someone that much to teach Hazel colors, shapes, and letters. So, I decided we'd do a little home preschool instead. A friend in the ward was wanting something for her 4-year old but was very pregnant (and now has a cute 2 week old baby) so I invited her son to join us.

Two days a week Thomas comes over for preschool and both of the kids LOVE it. Hazel seriously wakes up every morning asking if it's preschool today. I've also really enjoyed teaching them. I find it too easy to get wrapped up in cleaning, organizing, running errands, etc, etc that I feel like I don't take enough time to just play with my kids. So preschool has been great for that. Eliza loves it too and often watches what's going on or participates in her own way.

Hazel and Thomas as Prince and Princess during Fairy Tale week.
Showing off paper bag pumpkins from this week's theme.

 But wait, our home school adventures aren't over yet. Hazel also wanted to start taking ballet classes. Yay! (Let's be honest, I've been planting the seed for some time, but she genuinely wanted to to do). I checked out studios in the area and prices. What I was seeing just wasn't that great. Either the teachers for pre-ballet weren't highly qualified or I didn't like the feel of the studio. Then I thought to myself, why pay money for less than stellar ballet classes when I could teach her. Haha! So, I rounded up a few girls her age and stated a little home ballet class (it's easy to round up 3 and 4 year old for free ballet lessons).  Obviously it won't take her far, but she's loving it! Her "best friend" from church Leah comes and it makes Hazel as happy if not more to see her as it does to do the ballet class. And once again, I'm loving teaching ballet (and saving money)! So our year of home schooling has definitely been a win win.
Love the bun and leotard!

Hazel as a butterfly.

No comments: