Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Legacy of Amazing Women

My mom is from a family of 7 girls and no boys. Seven girls! Her father passed away before I was born and though I've never met him I know he was a saint. Her mother, Dorothy (Gram to me or Gram Dot to my girls) was a widow for over 40 years. She also lost two of her children, Pat and Liz, both of whom died in their 20's. Yet through all she faced, she was always positive and cheerful. Gram taught us to love reading at a young age. I have been tremendously thankful for her and the many amazing women in my life and in my girls life.

Each of my aunts in turn have taught and helped me. Lindy has taught me to cherish motherhood and the power of generosity. Judy has taught me to have pure, unwavering faith. Angel was often like a second mother to me and taught me a lot about service.

Then there is my mother and her twin sister Holly. My sisters call them Gram and Gram Holly which I love. Their twin connection amazes me at times. For example, their voices sound identical. Recently I found out that it was my Aunt Holly's voice on my mom's answering machine. I listened to the message for over a year and a half and never realized!

They also have had parallel health challenges much of their lives. When I was in high school they both had the same neck surgery within 6 months of each other. This past year has been a VERY difficult year for both of them. Between the two of them they have had a brain surgery, two foot surgeries, two thoracic outlet surgeries, one shoulder surgery, and one neck surgery. Both have dealt with chronic pain as surgeries have not produced the desired outcomes. Yet through it all they both of been amazing examples to me. They have continued to serve and to reach out to others during some of their darkest days. Thankfully my mom is finally feeling better! We're praying Holly will soon follow suit.

On Memorial Day Gram Holly asked us to drive her to place flowers on the grave. She wanted to show Hazel the grave of my great-grandmother and her name sake Hazel Harrison. While we were out she told us stories of the trouble she and my mom caused when they were Hazel's age.



I was so thankful she took us. I didn't even know Gammy (great-grandma Hazel) was buried so close. It was a good experience for Hazel to visit her name sake and a great experience for all of us to hear Holly's stories.

I'm so blessed to have a legacy of so many women in my life and the life of the girls. It that's not even including the amazing women in their lives from Michael's side of the family!

No comments: