This year, as always, there are so many, many things to be thankful for. But my mind has turned again and again to the people in my life I'm thankful for. On one rough afternoon with a cranky 5-year-old I felt impressed to think of 5 specific things I'm thankful for about each member of our family. Here they are:
Lenora:
1. I'm thankful for Lenora's calm demeanor. She has been such a go-with-the-flow baby since the day she was born. It makes it so easy to savor every moment with her.
2. I'm thankful for Lenora's chub! I've always wanted a baby with cute rolls and she has delivered. I'm also thankful for her finger and elbow dimples.
3. I'm thankful for the adorable way Lenora says "mama" and "dada". She packs a lot of love in two short sounds.
4. I'm thankful for Lenora's cuddles. She often lays her head on your shoulder and gives great little hugs.
5. I'm thankful for Lenora's infectious smiles. You can't help but be happy when she flashes you a grin.
Eliza:
1. I'm thankful for Eliza's help with laundry and dressing Lenora. She is really in to clothes right now so she loves picking out Lenora's clothes each day. She also enjoys hanging up all the clean dresses which is a huge help!
2. I'm thankful for the adorable things Eliza says on a daily basis. A recent favorite was "kangaroo sore" (aka a canker sore).
3. I'm thankful for Eliza's health. There have been multiple health scares with her, but each time it has all worked out and I'm so thankful.
4. I'm thankful for Eliza's help in the kitchen. Any time I try and cook something she hauls the bucket of wheat from the pantry and stands on top to "help" me. I'm thankful for this time because some day she will not want to spend every minute with me.
5. I'm thankful for Eliza's dainty movements. The way she shrugs her shoulders; the way she twirls in a dress up; the way she signs. It's all so dainty and adorable.
Hazel:
1. I'm thankful for Hazel's Kindergarten humor. She finds the funny side of so many situations and always brings laughter in to our home (even if sometimes it's the loud kind).
2. I'm thankful for Hazel's curiosity. Her questions motivate me to learn and question more. We've recently been learning a lot about whales. She also often asks me very thought provoking gospel questions.
3. I'm thankful for Hazel's beautiful singing voice and how freely she shares her gift. She loves to sing. For the primary program she even signed some of the songs while she sang.
4. I'm thankful for Hazel's example of missionary work. Her teacher commented at parent teacher conferences how Hazel was teaching the other kids primary songs. Hazel also told me she talked to her friend Cami about church and Cami mentioned they used to go but then stopped. So Hazel told her to ask her mom if they could start going again.
5. I'm thankful for Hazel's love of books and reading. She's learning to read so quickly and I'm very proud of her.
Me:
1. I'm thankful for a healthy, functioning body. My body that once moved beautifully in ballet class now has brought three children in to the world. It will never be as it once was and yet I'm so thankful for it. I can do what I want, when I want to, and it always sees me through. I am healthy and strong and can enjoy this time in my life without pain or worry. That is truly a wonderful blessing.
2. I'm thankful to be called mom by not one, not two, but three little girls. I don't have world travels, or fame, or fortune, but what I do have is more precious than any of those things.
3. I'm thankful for my time to stay at home. The transition to being a full time "homemaker" hasn't been easy for me (I'll probably write more about it another time). But I'm so thankful for this time. I'm so thankful to devote myself, my education, my talents, and all I have to building a strong home and family. I'm especially thankful for the joy it brings me.
4. I'm thankful for my calling teaching Sunday School for the high school age youth. They are wonderful kids and I'm probably learning more from them than they are from me.
5. I'm thankful for my diligence in keep up this blog. It has become such a great record of our family and we all enjoy going back and remember different times in our lives.
Michael:
1. I'm thankful for Michael's hard work for our family. He worked so hard this year to finish up his Master's and now dedicates himself to his work all for us.
2. I'm thankful for Michael's amazing example of faith. Once he feels something is right, there is no doubt in his mind and no turning from his decisions. His faith often strengthens me and eases my fears.
3. I'm thankful Michael is worthy of his priesthood and uses it to bless and guide our home.
4. I'm thankful Michael is patient and loving with me, our girls, and everyone he meets. He is so patient for all the shenanigans that come along with a house full of 4 girls. Also, he is so loving to everyone he meets. He looks for the best in people and often helps them see it for themselves.
5. I'm thankful for Michael's support of my role as a mother. He never demeans my role and frequently recognizes and praises efforts I've made with the girls and our home.
There are so many more people I'm thankful for - my parents, my in-laws, siblings, aunt/uncles, teachers, etc. I could go on and on for each has touched my life in a special way. I am truly, truly blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment