We've all missed Daddy, and I've certainly missed all his help. It's been a good kind of busy week, but we've definitely been on the move. After one busy, exhausting day my mind began dwelling on some of the annoying mannerisms of my children that had made the day more difficult. Like how Hazel gets in silly moods and completely stops listening to directions. Or how Eliza loves to hide and scream "Boo!" when I walk in to a room. Or how Lenora constantly says "I do it!" or "myself!" or "I no need help" for everything then screams when I have to help her because she can't do it on her own. Thankfully, the Spirit helped redirect my negative thoughts, and this quote came to mind:
Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companion's joys your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the loan and soften the sorrow of your companion. - Henry B. EyringI had stumbled upon this quote recently and it had stuck in my mind because it was like a revelation to me. Why? Michael frequently tells me I'm beautiful. And usually he tells me when I'm in my baby-puke spotted sweats with my hair in a messy bun and yesterday's makeup. I've never really believed him and thought he was just saying it because it's what he's "supposed" to say or because he thought it was what I want to hear. Then I read this quote and realized how wrong I was. He calls me beautiful because he means it. He says it because that is how he truly sees me. To him, I am beautiful. Always. Michael is developing the love for me that President Eyring is describing.
Then I realized, what if I truly had a love like that for Michael and my children. What if their mistakes and weaknesses were truly eclipsed by their talents and successes? What if instead of reflecting on the minor things that annoy me I was thinking of the many ways they bring me joy? To be fair there certainly are moments when I see them this way, but there are many more moments when I see them with my carnal eyes instead.
Love is the motivating principle by which the Lord leads us along the way towards becoming like Him, our perfect example. Our way of life, hour by hour, must be filled with the love of God and love for others... The family [is] an example of an ideal setting in which we can learn how to love as He loves. That is because the greatest joys and greatest sorrows we experience are in family relationships. The joys come from putting the welfare of others above our own. That is what love is. And the sorrow comes primarily from selfishness, which is the absence of love. - Henry B. EyringHow lucky we are to have families where we can learn to love like our Savior? And how incredible that he truly can help us change the lens through which we view those around us. I hope I can learn to see goodness, kindness, talent, and majesty in all people, but especially the ones I love the most.
1 comment:
Loved this :)
Post a Comment