Wednesday, December 6, 2017

First Broken Bone

With five kids, it's inevitable that one of them will break a bone at some point. Poor Eliza got the award for first broken bone in the Ballard house. She was playing on a slide at the playground a slide off in a weird way landing directly on her arm.


The initial x-ray didn't show the break and the poor thing had to wait a day and a half to see the orthopedic doctor. She was miserable and in terrible pain. Sleeping was especially rough.

The Ortho treated her for a broken elbow (which did show up on the x-ray the following week). She had a splint for a week while the swelling and bruising went down, then a cast for about 3 weeks. Thankfully once it was immobilized it wasn't painful for her any more.

 One funny story, on Thanksgiving I heard Eliza calling, "Mom, help!" I looked over to see her with a dollop of whipped cream on her finger. "Just lick it off," I told her. Then I realized she couldn't get her finger to her mouth with the cast!

 Now the cast is off and she's nearly back to normal. She's had a few physical therapy appointments to get it moving again. We're glad our little monkey is all healed up again.

No comments: