Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Kentucky Bucket List Part 2

 - Enjoy our Backyard -
I love the beautiful Kentucky fog that hangs so low in the sky many mornings. I will miss those foggy mornings! I will not however miss the huge rat snakes that roam around our yard. Michael saw this one that's about 5 feet long while he was mowing one day! 


- Camping at Natural Bridge - 
Natural Bridge is a beautiful rock formation in the Red River Gorge area. It's only about an hour from our house, but we still hadn't been up there. The kids and I went overnight so Michael could focus on his dissertation. It was amazing! 


We hiked up to a small cave/sinkhole with steps that led you down inside. It was beautiful and a bit spooky.




There was also a great creek where the kids played and played (and got soaked!) We found some minnows, the most beautiful bright teal dragonflies, and even some mussel shells!


My kids LOVE to camp. Over and over they said how awesome it was and how much fun they were having. It was a lot of work to do without Michael there, but I'm so glad we did. 




The next day we hiked up to the historic Natural Bridge. It was such a beautiful hike with the most unique rock formations and stunningly huge trees!






Looking up at the bridge from below.

Once we reached the bridge I realized there's a short trail you can take to stand on top! I told Hazel I didn't think we could do it with the little kids because I was slightly outnumbered haha. A kind man with his teenagers volunteered to help us so the kids could see the top. I am always touched when people serve my family and help in this great challenge of raising these cute kids. I was especially grateful because the view was incredible and I'm so glad we didn't miss it!


On the hike down Conrad was tired and grumpy. He wanted to stop and play with every rock, but we had to get back to check out of our camp site. He was mad at me for carrying him. Then he decided Eliza was his new ally and wanted her to carry him instead. This sweet big sister happily carried him for quite a while. Eliza has such a nurturing heart.


Natural bridge was easily my favorite hike we've taken here in Kentucky. So glad we crossed this one off the bucket list!



- Play in the Pouring Rain - 
It doesn't rain like this out West so we had to enjoy it before we leave!



No comments: