Friday, August 9, 2019

Kentucky Bucket List with Jamie!


Jamie came for a visit the end of June, and we were able to check off some big items on our Kentucky bucket list! Of course having Jamie here made them all even better. 

- Corvette Museum - 
Michael and Jamie really wanted to see the Corvette Museum, and I must admit, it was really fun! Conrad got to ride in this stroller car. He was in heaven! This boy loves cars so much and he had a blast the whole time. 

Besides a lot of really neat Corvettes, there was several hands on exhibits. The kids loved the children's area where they could create and race Lego cars, fix a car, ride in peddle cars, and in Hazel's case get her very own license.
There was also an area of the museum that was swallowed in a sink hole several years ago. They've since rebuilt it complete with a glass portion of the floor where you can see down in to the hole. Really neat but slightly creepy to see just how deep this sink hole was. 

We even got to sit in a Corvette! Conrad's face was priceless...
There was also a really neat exhibit about the space shuttle. We studied Astronomy this year for school so the kids and I really enjoyed this part. 

 - Mammoth Cave -
Our next stop was Mammoth Cave National Park. Hazel and I decided we want to visit as many National Parks as possible before she's 18 so we had to do this one before we moved. Mammoth Cave is the largest cave system in the world and covers over 400 miles of caves! 
The first day we took the "Historic Tour." It really gave you a sense of just how massive the caves are. The kids loved the "fat man's misery" section that was really windy and narrow.

Jamie booked the most adorable rustic cabins for the night. We cooked food with an electric kettle and crockpot and enjoyed a beautiful, peaceful evening. 

Side note: Jamie always lets the kids do fun things like take the picture that I often don't want to take the time to do. Did Orson's pictures turn out? I doubt it! But he had so much fun taking them.

The second day Michael had to head home to work on his dissertation. It was awful to see him go, but he was on a deadline to finish before starting at UVU in the fall. He worked so hard this summer to get it done!

We went on a second tour called "Domes and Dripstones." This one was amazing! It started with a decent down over 300 tight stairs designed and built by a submarine company. It was unbelievable (and slightly scary as I carried a wiggly Conrad down them).

It then led us through some of the most beautiful formations in the cave. I've never seen anything like them before. The pictures are terrible and don't capture even a fraction of how intricate they were. I'm so glad we choose that tour!


That day the kids completed the Jr. Ranger program and were sworn in as young protectors of the park. We also saw a few other sights in the park and rode the ferry across a river (which the kids thought was scary but secretly I think they had fun). 

That night we camped, made quesadillas on the fire, chased fireflies, and tried to sleep though a huge thunder storm. The kids loved every minute of it! Jamie and I were glad the storm wasn't worse. 

On our way out the next morning we did some wildlife watching at a small lake. We saw the biggest turtle I've ever seen in the wild. My phone was dead by that point, but Jamie caught some great pictures on her camera.

- One Last Pinnacles Hike -
We had to show Jamie Pinnacles. We haven't made it up every month like we wanted to, but I think we've gone about 10 times this year. This time we hiked a different trail than we have before and it ended up being close to 4 miles round-trip. The girls did so well! Conrad fell asleep in my arms though haha! I ended up sitting with him with the girls and Jamie explored. It was a great day!


Not on our bucket list, but just some fun with Jamie - sewing neck pillows for the move, going to church, playing lots of games, and touring Keenland.



Also, Eliza and I both got our ears pierced while Jamie was in town! I had my pierced when I was 8 but had lots of problems with them and let them close up. Eliza convinced me to get them re-pierced when she got hers done. I love them! Eliza was also thrilled we let her get hers done a week before her birthday so Jamie could be there with us.


Thanks Jamie for a wonderful visit and for helping us check off the last few Kentucky bucket list items!

No comments: