Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Learning to Love


Guess who is learning to love chickens? Okay, love might be a bit of a strong word, but guess who's learning to not kill chickens and let them roam the yard in peace? Haley! 

This dog that has killed 8 chickens in her lifetime can now be trusted not only to be around them when we're outside, but to rest lazily on the grass while they peck around. I guess all of Eliza's admonitions that "chickens are friends, not food" were taken to heart. 

I feel like there are good life lessons in this one: 
- We can love those who are very different from we are
- Anyone can change
- With practice, self-mastery is possible even for the most difficult of skills

Lessons learned on our urban farm are priceless! Also, all but one of the chickens are now laying eggs. Orson checks the coop for eggs about 5 times a day, and I don't see his excitement waning any time soon. I'm so thankful for the blessings of chickens, a silly dog, and the joy they bring our kids. 

No comments: