Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Happy Birthday Muggle!

Our sweet, amazing Hazel is now 11 years old! And, as she was hoping, on her 11th birthday she received an owl with a letter from Hogwarts...


I just couldn't let her birthday pass without a Hogwart's letter, and I think she loved it! While the letter was a fun nod at her favorite books, it was also a wonderful opportunity for us to share some wisdom and encouragement with Hazel as she prepares to start Young Women's in January. Along with her letter, we wrote to her about the incredible powers that are hers if she will but learn to harness them - the power of agency, the power of the Holy Ghost, and the power found in temples. We also gave her a leather journal to fill with all she learns on her journey through adolescence. I hope she always looks back fondly on this birthday and feels empowered to build the life she wants as she grows up. 

Speaking of growing up, I celebrated what may very well be the last of Hazel's birthdays before she is taller than me. She's sure catching up quickly! 

Things we love about Hazel: 
She is a great hiking buddy! I love that she loves to hike just as much as I do. A few weeks ago we hiked in Albion Basin with friends. On the way down, Hazel joined me in walking down and meeting up with Michael and the car further down the mountain. I'm so glad we did because the meadows we hiked through were bursting with wildflowers. 


I love that Hazel loves to cook (and is quite good too!). She wanted to make her own birthday treat - a peach pie with lattice crust. 



I love how much Hazel cares for her younger siblings, cousins, and other kids. It's not always easy being the oldest in the family and of all the cousins, but she is so patient, sweet, and kind with young kids. 
I love that Hazel's favorite color is still purple! Her basement bedroom is almost finished, and it's going to be a purple delight. Purple walls, the most beautiful purple, pink, and mint quilt my mom made her, purple decor, purple sheets. All of her school binders and notebooks are purple. Keep rocking the purple!


I love that Hazel loves to learn, and she's always eager to share what she's learning. She is a wealth of facts! She is currently learning to identify 20 native trees, and planning to read the entire Book of Mormon this year. 

Michael adds that he loves how Hazel makes her own decisions. She isn't swayed by what others are doing or what is trendy (in fact she hates trendy things). She an independent thinker and happy to choose what she knows is best for her. He also loves how she thirsts for knowledge and is always exploring new subjects. 

I love that Hazel loves to read, that she still sleeps with Rafi, Giraffe, and Frogger every night, that she is becoming a beautiful piano player, and most of all that she has profound integrity. Happy Birthday Hazel!! We love so much about you, and we're so thankful you made us parents. 

No comments: