Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hazel at 4


How is my baby 4 years old? Hazel is still as smart and independent as ever. She loves to learn and play. She also still has quite the sassy streak. Today I literally had a slammed door and a deep sigh from her. Talk about 4 year old attitude! Thankfully, most of the time she's actually very sweet and helpful.

 Hazel is so excited for the baby to join our family. She always wants to feel my tummy and look at pictures in "What to Expect when You're Expecting." Friday I took her with me to my appointment so she could hear the baby's heart beat and she was over the moon. She has also taken to playing pregnant and taught Eliza to play too. It's common to find them with a stuffed animal under their shirt or rocking their crying lovies. (Funny side note, when Eliza's lovie is a baby it's name changes from Ellie to Fella. She will ask me, "Mom where's Fella?" Silly girl!)

Hazel has become so curious about the world and life. She is always asking me questions as she tries to figure out how the world works. She is learning that some things are made up (like mermaids and unicorns). Since she figured that out she will often ask me if things are "real on earth." Today it was "Mom are flamingos real on earth?" "Yes" "Do they really stand like that on earth?". I love helping her sort out what's "real on earth"!

Another funny story with her curiosity... I was clipping Hazel's nails when she asked me if people could grow new fingers. I told her no, just the nail. Her response, "But the Primary song says you can" So I asked her which one. "I hope they call me on a mission, when I have grown a foot or two". It took me a minute to understand how that related! Of course if you can grow feet fingers should be no problem!

One of the greatest things to watch as she grows is how Hazel is beginning to learn more about the gospel. It often seems like she doesn't listen or remember when we have lessons or read Scriptures, but then she surprises me. The other day we were talking about how pioneers had to leave many of their things to trek West. Hazel said, "That's just like Lehi. He left his stuff then whet back for scriptures. Then they had to go back again for wives." I was impressed how much she knew. One night she was struggling to fall asleep when to decided to kneel down and say a prayer. She asked Heavenly Father to help her follow her sleep rules. Then the next morning she was so excited - "Mom I followed my sleep rules because Heavenly Father helped me!" She has such great faith and such a sweet spirit.

Of course Hazel is still a total princess. At a friends birthday party recently her mom taught them a song: "I'm a princess tall and clean and patient too. I will smile and thank and always serve and do." I had used that song one day to teach her that princesses are patient which means to wait nicely. Well today in the car I was saying how I couldn't wait for something and she started singing this to me then said "Mom remember a princess is patient!" We love you Princess Hazel! Thanks for all you teach us and the joy you bring to our lives.

No comments: