Mike told me I needed to write a post with all the details about Hazel's birth so here we go.....
Tuesday was business as usual for us - we both went to work, I came home and started a few things for dinner the next night with the missionaries, did some homework, cleaned up a bit, and so on. Right around bed time, I started to have some contractions but really thought nothing of it. They started to get a bit worse, but I still thought they were nothing. About 10:45 Mike asked if I was feeling okay and I told him what was going on. He said we needed to go to the hospital. I refused for a good hour before he finally convinced me to leave.
At the hospital they examined me and found I was dilated to 3.5cm (I was at 3 before) and was having regular contractions, but they didn't want to admit me yet. They told me to walk around for an hour and if I dilated more they would admit me. Well in the hour I dilated to 4cm and was admitted to the hospital about 2am.
Between 2am and 4am I dilated to 6cm and was in quite a bit of pain. Mike said it was horrible to watch me and not be able to do anything. Then at 4:30 I got an epidural:) They are without a doubt the best medical invention ever! I admire mothers who have natural labors, but Heavenly Father knew to put me on this earth at a time when good pain medicine existed. I'm eternally grateful:)
After that it was smooth sailing. I slept as much as possible for the next hour or so. The epidural slowed down my labor though so at 8am the doctor came and broke my water to try and get things moving again. That helped, but it wasn't enough and around 10:30 they gave me some Pitocin. By noon I was fully dilated and ready to push. Hazel was born at 12:39 after 40 mins of pushing. Her shoulder got suck a little bit on the way out, but otherwise everything went great!
It was incredible to hold her in my arms and meet my beautiful daughter. Mike and I have been amazed with how seamlessly she fits in to our family. We're already wondering what it was ever like to live without her. I must admit, the transition to being a mother has been much more natural and fulfilling than I ever imagined it would be. We couldn't be happier! Tired yes, but oh so happy.
Hazel is a wonderful, sweet little girl. We love her so much!
6 comments:
Epidurals are wonderful! Glad you were able to get some rest. Hazel is so beautiful! Thanks for letting us hold her!!!
I'm so glad Hazel arrived safely! She is beautiful!
Welcome to that wonderful Blessing called Parenthood. The Lord knew what he was doing when he set it up for a woman to be pregnant for nine months and then to have such a difficult and emotional delivery. This process endears the child to the mother as no other possibly could. As for the father’s part in all this, he is learning, growing and gaining experience. The nine months teach him patience in that he is not only waiting for his child but also learning and understanding mood swings, which help him, prepare for fatherhood. From my (mans) point of view the most difficult thing I have ever done is watch my wife suffer through labor and childbirth. I know that the reason the woman gives birth is because we men could never do it no matter how good the drugs are. I respect women for the way they go through it not only once but in most cases several times. Because of these trials during pregnancy and subsequent childbirth the child comes into life and is already instantly loved by both parents and they (the parents) cannot imagine life without the child.
I again offer you my congratulations and can’t wait to meet Hazel.
Aw, you made me cry because it reminded me of when Savannah was born.
It's wonderful how little beings can bring so much joy into our lives.
Here's a quote that will make you smile:
"A baby fills a place in your heart you never knew was empty."
Hi Justine, it's Hannah West. She is beautiful and I am so glad that she is hear safe. Congrats. Heidi gave me your blog info so now we can keep in contact. I must agree with the epidural part, they are a huge blessing. Congrats again on your beautiful baby girl.
WOW! Congratulations. So fun reading the birth story. It kinda reminded me of when I had my first! :)
Congrats again!
Post a Comment